Thursday, December 16, 2010

Some Day

Some day I will be able to decorate my Christmas tree exactly the way I want it.  I won't have to use plastic ornaments, or string popcorn and cranberry garlands, and I will use any color scheme I so desire.  The ornaments won't be bunched up with big patches in between, because kids want to keep their special ornaments together.  There won't be a loud train constantly being turned on and then knocked off the tracks from the excitement of watching it go.
Some day I will be able to do holiday baking without interruption.  No one will cry because they are getting some orange slices with a cheese stick instead of the gingerbread girl with all the sprinkles.  Nothing will burn because I am dealing with baby drama.  Holiday treats will go out to the neighbors on time, instead of sporadically throughout the winter season and maybe even March.
Some day I will have to decorate my tree all by myself, without small hands to help.  I will be the only one to sing with John Denver and the Muppets; I will be the only one to see if all the lights are working.  It will be quiet and maybe even a little somber, instead being full of voices and joyful  impatience and life.  Ornaments will go up without the excitement that only comes from a child unwrapping a welcome surprise.
Some day all of my holiday baking will be done with efficiency and some degree of cleanliness as well.  There will be no small and warm body pressed against mine and the counter while we try to measure together. I will have to figure out what to bake by myself, without the help of strong and loud opinions or promises already made to teachers and friends. Instead, there will be rows of naked gingerbread people and no ideas as to what they should wear.
Although I may at times wish for Some day, I need to remember the little joys that I can be a part of today.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh so true!!! Hey I just learned that lesson, this season. It helps that I have no energy to do anything still, so the kids took it upon themselves to start on the tree. I have taught them well. The ornaments weren't all in one spot, and they went more than half way up the tree. I am proud of my passing on my being picky about some things.