Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shell Shocked

We received our tax return not that long ago, and were feeling rather flush. There was money to finish the kitchen, fix the muffler on Cliff's car, and pay off a credit card. I should have known better.
I took the children in for their dental check ups. The actual check ups were fine, but both Nadia and Brandon have a cavity. While making appointments to get these fixed, I had the following conversation with the office lady:
Her: What dental insurance do you have?
Me: None. We have a Flex Pay account.
Her: Okay, so you're paying on your own. Here's the estimate for the work to be done, but be warned that it is just an estimate.
Me: (going pale) You do realize we're just getting two small fillings, not a root canal and crown put in, right?
Her: Oh, I see that the fillings will be done on your first born child as well as your first born son. Since we usually take one of these as payment, I need to know, do you have other children? Can you have more if our estimated work is above and beyond what is outlined here?
Boy, am I bummed. Guess it's a good thing I didn't bring in Ben to discuss his thumb sucking and tongue thrust issues, or I might have to steal some fertility drugs and have triplets.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Hey, the same thing happened to us too! We had great visions of taking care of debt, but things came up. I was glad to see you Sunday.