Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!


Here's how Mother's Day went down at our house. Every gory little detail.
It started the night before with me waking up every time the neighbor's cat meowed in our yard. This cat hates me, and knows that we open the window in the bedroom when it starts to get warmer. Yes, I know some of you are laughing at this sentence, but just remember that "warmer" is relative. Moving on. Every time I hear this cat, I snap to attention, and quickly try to figure out who is crying. Then I realize it is just the cat, and mumble ways to get even with it while I try to fall back asleep. Skipping to the end, I woke up with a monster headache, and Cliff telling me the kids were fed and getting dressed and he needed to go set up chairs for church. I love that man.
So I skipped church and tried to reason with myself that it was okay to take more than 2 tylenol for nasty headaches, but didn't do it, because I am nursing and feel guilty. It was a good thing that I stayed home because Caleb had sour stomach all day, and Brandon wasn't feeling well, either. We stayed in my room and watched a movie, then had quiet time until the others came home.
Oh, the presents. I loved this year's bootie. Or is it booty? This year's haul. How about that.
Nadia made me a used coupon booklet, so I now have a place to store all those coupons I've used at various places. I didn't have the heart to tell her most places keep the coupons so you won't use them again. She also made a mug at school, with a packet of hot chocolate in it. Too bad she forgot to tell the teacher I'm lactose intolerant. Eh, the kids and Cliff enjoyed it, so it worked out just fine.
Brandon made me a recipe card holder. It holds about 5 cards, and he showed me where he wrote his name on it, and how he made it look CRAZY.
Benjamin gave me a flower, and then took it back so he could sweep with it. Yes, it did make a very good broom.
Cliff made me scrambled eggs and toast for lunch and fed the kids. Very sweet. Later, we got a call from my dad that dinner was ready, and headed over to visit with him and my brother who is done with school for the summer. Dad made a lovely beef stew in the crock pot, and my bro made brownies. Then everyone else went for a walk while Caleb and I had some quiet time alone, and then we just visited until it was time to come home.
I loved this Mother's Day. I love being a mom. Even when it means I wake up 7 times a night because of a stupid cat that I think is a crying child, even with sour tummies and cranky toddlers, I love my kids and all the things that being a mother to them entails.
And here's to all the great moms I know who put up with craziness and noise and messes because that's part of the package, and do it with grace and a smile. You are wonderful, and I am glad to know you all and learn from you!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What a great post. I love that pic. That present Nadia gave you was so thoughtful :). I love kids.

Jenny said...

I can always count on a good laugh with your posts. Glad you had a good mothers day.