Friday, May 28, 2010

Books and Reincarnation

I just finished reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. It is a fun and sometimes sad account of a dog and his master, who are both obsessed with cars and racing. The whole book is about the life lessons this dog has learned from the race track, and using them to the best so he can be reincarnated as a human in his next life. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me think and look differently at my dog. Until she passed gas and totally ruined the moment.

But it also reminded me of a conversation I was part of back when I was sassy and single. We were on a big group date, and one of the guys asked what we all thought we would come back as or what we were before. It was a fun question and a pretty good way to break the ice. So what did I choose? I kept going back and forth between a giraffe or ostrich. They both have gorgeous eye lashes like me, are tall, and hate to be cold. I think. The giraffe and I also look pretty graceful until we start moving, and running can kill us. Seriously. Ostriches and I share the same skin color of WHITE and our thighs look the same.

So now I am curious: what will you be or what were you? And what are you reading right now?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Haha! Awesome thought. My friend and I had this discussion many years ago. I was a tiger. I like to nap, stay up at night, and protect my cubs. I have that same attitude of "no one can hurt me because I'm bigger and badder than you." I can be very sweet but am annoyed easily. See, bet you didn't know that much about me before! :)

Natalie said...

I have really been enjoying the author Charles Martin. I've read 3 of his books in the last little bit and have one more in the docket. Highly recommended!!! As for reincarnation, I have no idea. At this moment, I'd probably come back as a whale (considering my current condition).