Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cliff's Birthday

Yesterday was Cliff's birthday, and here is a list of things that did and didn't happen.

Did

All of the children gave Cliff cards. Ben's was Handy Manny, and we know it would work when he said, "Manny" and "Mine". Brandon gave his dad a dinosaur card. While drawing a picture and signing his name, he told me all about how his birthday party should be, including the gold dinosaurs and Transformer cake. Nadia signed one card and then made another one for Daddy during Church, complete with envelope. One small problem, no one knows how to put the envelope back on, including Nadia.

We made Cliff a chocoholic cake with Baby Ruth bars cut up on top of the whipped cream frosting. Brandon decided the cake wasn't quite ready yet and needed some fruit snacks, so they went on as well.

Cliff's birthday dinner was grilled steak, oven veggies, homemade rolls, a fruit and a green salad. The steak was perfect, nicely seasoned and very tender, and I can't eat enough of those oven veggies when they have mushrooms and asparagus.

Didn't

I still haven't gotten Cliff's b-day present. In my defense, I have pregnancy amnesia, and have a hard time remembering the children's names, let alone a book by what's-his-name Skousen about 5,000 somethings. Or Cliff's hat size for that fitted Detroit Tigers baseball cap he likes. No, apparently "Big" isn't a size. This week I need to find time to go to the store with the info written down and just hand it to someone so I don't make any more problems.

No pics for this post because I forgot to charge the camera. Not that Cliff really cares, but the children love to see b-day pics. Maybe when Aunt Jenny comes up on Thursday I will angle the camera so it looks like Cliff's b-day instead of Jenny's. Don't worry, I'll still take Jenny's pic as well. If I remember to charge the batteries this time.

We did have steak, but it wasn't what Cliff wanted for his b-day dinner. I just mistakenly assumed it was. About a month ago, Cliff was talking about a good steak, and so I decided we could do that for his birthday. Saturday night is not the time to double check to see if it's what they really want for Sunday/birthday dinner. He really wanted my mother's pork schnitzel with brown gravy and noodles. Oops.

I guess it's just a good thing that I'm so darn good looking, and that Cliff finds it easy to forgive me.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Happy late b-day cliff! Alan remembered last night, but I don't know if he called. Hey he is lucky enough to have you around on his day. He doesn't need a gift. I hope my camera is charged when I come. See ya soon!!!