Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Slacker Sarah Rides Again

So here (finally) is a post about what my turkeys and the rest of us did for Thanksgiving. I went over on Wednesday to help make the pies, only to be told that my father had already bought 3 of them and we only needed to make some pumpkin custard. He is a pie fiend, and I should have realized that he wouldn't be able to wait for us to bake them up. I was also going to bake a new very vanilla cake that sounded FABULOUS, but had to wait until tree decorating time the following week to try it.
My mother's mixer finally gave up the ghost. She originally bought it in Germany, and it is the heavy duty big brother of one of those Kitchen-Aid mixers every one raves about. The Bosch beast lasted about 25 years. Mom was able to make rolls, but they were definitely not the same.

This is a too close picture of the enchiladas that my mother makes the day after Thanksgiving, and why we need such a large bird in the first place. An 8 lb Jennie-O just wouldn't cut it for the Thanksgiving feast AND for these babies. My brothers will actually skip eating more turkey just to make sure there is enough to make the enchiladas. What better endorsement to their yumminess is there? I should have posted the recipe for them right after the big turkey day, but the title for this post says it all, friend.



Brandon made this turkey for school. He was very proud of the color pattern he used for the feathers. Yes, very organized when it comes to color patterns, but actually putting the turkey away instead of letting it sit on the table for 3 days? Not a chance. He also realized that he likes mashed potatoes and gravy. Right when Cliff decided to go on his low carb diet. Oh, the irony of it all. One boy who needs to avoid carbs, and one who I push to eat any carb I can find.


This is Nadia's turkey creation. Her 2nd grade class was given the red piece of paper with a turkey outline, and fill it out any way they wanted. Most of it is different pasta shapes, pretzels, some licorice and skittles. It was a great way to get rid of some old Halloween candy, instead of letting it sit around where I might just happen to see it and eat it.
Poor Benjamin's picture is lost somewhere, but the good news is that we finally got a new camera, so it will be MUCH easier to download pics and know they are on a memory card instead of my finicky phone. Cliff actually braved Black Friday to get it. He is a much braver (and bruised) person than I.



1 comment:

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

I dont think its possible for Nadia to look any more like you! HOLY SMOKES!! haha! Your kids are so stinking cute!