Monday, November 24, 2008

Potpourri

Today we will not be talking about that nasty smelling pine cone mess most people automatically think of when the word potpourri pops up. Instead, this post is just a mixture of pics and words that (I hope) go pleasingly together and is easier to stomach. Those pine cones can sure do a number on you. Just kidding.
Up top we have Benjamin. What a great mess to go with that great smile. My dad had gotten into the habit over the summer to give Ben an ice cream sandwich of his very own every night after dinner. He never had any stomach issues, and is actually still in the 35th percentile weight wise. Dad got some more the other night and yes, Ben still likes them. Now we just have to teach Mr. Independent how to clean all of himself, not just his mouth.

Hmmm, do you think the kids are still happy they have a dog? They have both done a great job keeping her food and water dish full and playing with her inside and out.

(This is supposed to be in National Geographic style. Imagine some English guy narrating.)

Here we see the Baby Bird Benjamin in his natural habitat. Aware that there is an adult with food nearby, he proceeds to initiate the "I want some of that too" dance, with its very unique stomping while running steps. This is followed by the vocalization "Num Num", as he approaches the adult with a wide open mouth ready to accept any offering.

This was Nadia's Halloween costume. She was very excited about being a cheerleader until the day before the school parade and class party. And then she became a first class worrywart. "Where will I change? I'm not wearing that costume ALL DAY. What if Mr Hughes (the principal) doesn't know Miss Johnson (the teacher) said it was okay to change in the bathroom and we get in trouble? What if Miss Johnson gets in trouble? What if there's another cheerleader there? What if I'm the only cheerleader? What if nobody likes my costume?" Now some of the questions were a little silly, but I do worry about Nadia and her self esteem. Especially since she's already a girl who sticks out in class with size and smarts. So I didn't roll my eyes and calmly went through the fears and told her it would all be okay. That smile in the picture tells me it was. P.S. She was a great BYU cheerleader. Ask her sometime to say, "GO COUGARS"! P.P.S. What was I thinking trying to make a cheerleader costume?! Why don't they make them in the big girl sizes?! UGH!!!



1 comment:

Krista said...

I love the post. It was great. You made her costume? Wow, I'm impressed. Does Ben ever want to give you a kiss when his face is messy? My kids love to do that.