Friday, December 19, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside


The other day at work, there was an announcement. "Teachers, (they never include us lunch ladies) please excuse the interruption. The thermometer is reading -12 so recess will be inside today. We will update you if there are any changes." About 45 minutes later, recess was back outside because it was only -8.

Seriously?

Maybe it's because I'm not from Idaho, but isn't that still just frigid?

Today was not much better. The snow was beautiful, the sky was clearing from the last storm we had, and I thought, "What a pretty Christmas picture this is." Then I went outside to warm up the car. Big mistake. By the way, I don't curse. I Mormon curse. That's when you pick random words and assign them the same menacing under your breath voice you would use for real cursing. Mine are mainly the names of Italian artists. Try it. Mutter "Caravaggio!" under your breath and see if you don't feel better. Any way, after using all my Mormon curse words, where I sound like I'm in a Renaissance gallery instead of my driveway wrestling with the snow that keeps coming back instead of leaving like it's supposed to, it was time to drive Nadia to school. She had just been standing on the front step watching me battle the snow and wind (and losing) while she waited patiently for the car to warm up enough for the doors not to freeze open.

I am now determined to teach the dog to scrape off the snow and drive Nadia to school before coming back home so I can have a nice warm car to hop into for work. The time used for this extra training will be well worth it. I am just not made for this kind of cold.

Being an army brat and growing up in Germany, yes, it was cold. But not like this. Besides, I had those cool knee high socks that actually came up past your bum and could have reached your belly button if you sewed them together. They were great with your leg warmers and big balloon jacket.

Why can't a designer come out with a new line of clothing that is warm, fashionable, and maybe throw some knee socks in for the 3o something woman? Or is that just too juvenile for the mature woman?

Darn fashion trends.

3 comments:

Krista said...

I'm sorry to tell you this, but both my husband and I don't remember them canceling recess at all. I remember having to ride the snow machine to the bus stop. The object of recess was to run around fast enough that you didn't freeze to death. At least when you Mormon curse you use real words. Mine just sounds something like the tazmainin devil.

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

Its COLD here too... and windy and icy and just plain out annoying! I do love the snow, but UGH i am ready for spring. No wait, if spring is coming,that means baby number 4 is coming... I may have to learn to enjoy the snow for a while. I am SO not ready for this baby haha

Jenny said...

We love the snow. It's the cold and driving in it that stinks for me. Being from Central America, I don't think i will ever get used to the cold. We had our ward hay ride the other night, and i tell you what even with all the layers i had on, I still about froze. Thank goodness for bonfires and hot chocolate.