Friday, December 12, 2008

Clarification

At work today, the subject of Christmas and Santa came up. Being the big dork that I am, I blurted out how my kids really don't believe and Brandon's need to correct everyone on St. Nick's dead/not dead status. I thought it was a cute story. Until I saw the other ladies' faces. They looked horrified, and asked when I had shattered the dream. There may be a new lock on the door Monday morning at the school.

So I feel I need to explain a little more about St. Nick and me. We don't have some terrible hate relationship because I was jipped as a kid or saw some awful Santa impersonator who ruined it for me. I really don't have it in for him. He just wasn't that important in the Christmas picture. So when the children started asking questions about him, I decided to keep it laid back and answer them honestly. And that just happened to include the question, "So if he lived a long time ago, is he dead?" asked by Darling Nadia. Brandon was in the car and heard the answer. I just couldn't say the bold face lie that he wasn't, or that he was special and could live forever because the other holiday mascots got together and voted him in. Does that make me a bad parent? Have your kids asked about how old he is and why he isn't dead yet? This was after discussing George Washington and why Cliff's grandparents and mine (except for my Gma Soelberg) weren't around to visit and send presents to them.

Great. Now I'll need to write ANOTHER post soon because I'm getting depressed about the whole thing.

1 comment:

Krista said...

I wouldn't worry about it. Each parent knows what their kids need. I figured out early in life the truth about Santa. I love the story of Santa and it is fun to believe even if you know it is not true. It is kind of like the Harry Potter craze. We know magic is not real, but we love to live in that little fantasy land and we are fine when we come back to reality. I wouldn't get depressed. You are a wonderful mother. I am sure I will face these questions soon. Besides, your children can still have dreams about Christmas. Christmas is more than Santa. It is snowflakes, and holly, it is snowmen, and a celebration about our Savior. The true magic of Christmas is about how this holiday can bring out the best in people whether you focus on Santa or other figures of the season. Focus on your traditions and your family. Being a convert I know my side of the family focuses on presents and Santa, but I will have my children say morning prayers and read scriptures as well as read from the Savior's stocking about our gifts of service to Him before one present is opened. I know my family will freak out and I am okay with that. My children will be raised how Chad and I think best. I know you and Cliff will do the same. So simply smile and remember that you don't have to come up with an explanation as to why Santa's reindeer can't be pink. Any suggestion?