Tuesday, August 25, 2009

School Dazed

Monday was the first day of school. The children woke up at 7 am, we had smiley faced blueberry pancakes, and the children dressed themselves and were off. Only I can't show you any of these pictures because our camera decided it couldn't survive without being next to our old monitor, and passed away as well. Those smiley face pancakes were awesome, too.
So instead you will just have to read until I can make fake first day of school pics and then post those.
Nadia is very excited to be in Mrs. Ferguson's 2nd grade class. She was Nadia's cousin's teacher last year, and we got to know her pretty well. I think she will do just fine. We have already had our first school related meltdown when she realized she had thrown away her sandwich keeper with the rest of her lunch trash. Pretty sad for Nadia, who had been looking forward to using it all summer long. Maybe we can figure something out at the store on Saturday.
Brandon has done a lot better with kindergarten than I thought he would. Just to help you get the idea of what I am up against, Cliff and I decided that if Brandon had a super hero name, it would me Anti-Change Boy, the ever loyal sidekick of Megagirl (Nadia). He just does not handle change well at all. I was very grateful to find out that this year the teachers did a "kindergarten roundup", where the parent and child got to go the the class together and do some activities. It was a big help to him to be able to meet the teacher, see his room, see where he would sit, and do some of the things that he would do in class. We also went to back to school night, where we got to drop off his school supplies and see everything again. There was no crying on the first day. It was amazing. He just got in his line at the front door, waved at me, and went inside.
Benjamin is having a much tougher time than Brandon. He is very cuddly right now, almost to the point of strangulation, and keeps asking where the other children are. When we went to drop off Brandon today (he's in pm kindergarten), he was very excited because he thought we were there picking up Nadia. He has been sitting on his pouting step (bottom stair step by the front door) and doesn't want to play with me. I have been letting him hug me all he wants, and hope that Big Sibling Withdrawal pains go away soon.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

So happy they are doing great! I can totally see Ben sitting with sad eyes and all. Kambrie did it a little this year as well, but not as bad as last year. She has more to look forward to this year she is starting preschool on the Sept.2.

Krista said...

Maybe if we start a playgroup, little Ben won't feel so bad. I'm glad things are going well for your family