Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Little Things

I have been thinking of things to be thankful for this month, in recognition of Thanksgiving.  I think it's a holiday that gets the shaft, being squeezed in between the costumes and candy of Halloween and the Spiritualness and presents of Christmas.  It should be less about the Alka-seltzer and over eating with a football game thrown in and more about how thankful we should be for all our blessings.
It has been in this vein that I have posted something on my status every day on Facebook about something that I am thankful for.  It's been pretty easy so far, and it makes me think more with the "Attitude of Gratitude" mindset during the day.
Something I am very grateful for that I haven't yet mentioned is the humor I get every day as a mom.  I love some of the things my kids say.  They don't always know it, but boy, do they make me smile.
Benjamin asked me the other day if he could have a drink of eggnog.  Oh, we party hard in the Sharp household and have eggnog from October to February, or whenever the store finally runs out.  I told him there wasn't enough for every one, so he needed to find something else to drink.  He sat at the table, started rubbing his chin, and thought.  Then he came back at me with, "I think I would like something that tastes like eggnog." "Like what?"  I asked. I was thinking something sweet, like maybe hot chocolate.  "Like eggnog."
Brandon was complaining to a friend that he (the friend) was better than Brandon in everything.  The friend replied, "That's not true, Brandon.  You are a better reader than me.  Much better."  I was very impressed, and waited for Brandon to thank him. Brandon smiled and said, "What else am I better at?"
Nadia is learning colloquialisms and those little phrases we all say but don't necessarily understand or even get right.  My favorite from her was when I answered a question quickly and she said, "Wow  mom, you got that right off the back."
All the snot, drool, and worse is worth it for those little nuggets and the smiles I get from these four amazing children.

No comments: