Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sibling Memories, Pt 4

John, John, John.  Tonight it is your turn.  Not that you even read this blog, but I certainly could never leave you out of all the fun. 
To start, I must make a confession: I am not, nor was I ever, that interested in The Tick cartoon.  But you were, and I wanted to do something and have something in common with you.  I mean, as great as it was to order Taco Bell with you, you can only talk about how good the bean burrito is for so long before you need another subject.  It was a great tool to get to know you better when we were getting older and didn't have the same friends or same interests even.  Okay, and maybe there were one or two parts that actually made me smile.  "Homer?  The Odyssey?!  Read a book!"
Steven once told me I was so nice that he could demand, not even ask nicely, but demand a million dollars and I would figure out a way to get it for him within a week.  Or maybe 24 hours.  I can't remember the time frame, but it was ridiculous and I am glad he never asked you, because you are really the one who would have done it.  You have always been "The nice one" in our family.  You always got up and made sure every one's soda or popcorn was topped off instead of just taking care of yours, like this older sis so often did.  You are still teaching me all the little ways it's possible to serve others.
Your comedy skills, on the other hand, have needed just the tiniest smidgen of help.  Like the time you told a boy I was dating that I was going to break up with him.  While he was making dinner for our family.  I had no idea what was wrong, other than that he looked a little ill, until after I had sent him out the door.  Of course when your comedic education is based on UHF, Dr. Demento, and Monty Python, there may not be as many people who get the subtlety you strove for.  It has improved with time, and you definitely make me laugh.
Do remember when you didn't like chocolate or anything green, not even green jello or kool-aid?  Let's just say you made dessert interesting.  And Saint Patrick's Day?  Forget about it. But as you grew older, you decided to give things a second or even 5th chance, and you are now quite the adventurous eater.  It's one of the many things I admire about you.
With all of the strong and opinionated people in our family, it would have been easy for you to just follow the path one of us had already set.  You have never done that, not when you were little and had your own language, and not now that you have become older and dj dances.  You were always calm and set in what you wanted to do, not what some else was telling you to do. It's a wonderful quality to have, and you definitely possess it.
So here's to you, my youngest brother who is now a menace to society: if only real menaces were like you, then the world would be a truly wonderful place. Now go and date that girl.

No comments: