Monday, November 15, 2010

Sibling Memories, Pt 1

Remember how I am keeping a gratitude journal on Facebook?  Well, it has finally decided to haunt me.  Or at least, my sister has.  You see, I recently wrote on there something about how I am thankful for siblings and all the crazy memories and love I have with and for them, and she called me out by asking me to expound. 
I take the challenge.  All week, I will be writing memories I have of my siblings, and seeing as how none of them live close, except the youngest who I am positive doesn't read my blog because it doesn't have anything to do with Halo or Mario, I can say anything.  Mwah hah hah hah hah!  (Evil laughter)
Tonight, I begin with my brother Jacob, who is currently in Afghanistan, and can not kill me.  At least not for another 10 1/2 months.
Things I remember about him...
I remember when he had braces.  He was the first in our family, and I remember thinking what a cry baby he was on tightening day, especially when there was no more yogurt or ice cream in the house.  Then I got braces on my bottom teeth after my mission, when I was working in the military dental clinic in Germany. Easy peasy, I thought.  Later that evening, I went to institute, where we would have a meal before starting class.  I had taken several bites of soup when the spoon barely tapped one of my teeth.  I calmly but quickly made my way to the bathroom to see how many of my bottom teeth had fallen out from that spoon incident, only to discover they were all intact, even if I had never felt such agonizing pain in my life.  I have never doubted that my brother has a high pain thresh hold after that.
He is a fantastic athlete.  He did cross country in high school, and played on a special "talented" basketball team..  After we moved back to the States, both ice and street hockey were added to the mix. He now runs 6 minute miles, 4 miles at a time, for his regular workout, with some other things thrown in to keep it interesting.
Then there were the times we played GI Joes and Star Wars together (what a nice brother!).  Even after I was done with Barbies, I had a hard time letting those little figurines go, and it was because Jacob made it fun. He was so creative with Legos and came up with awesome spaceships and guns, and had all the cool sound effects to go with them. He let me drive around with him in the trunk of my car (in my defense, there were 9 of us in front, and he simply would not fit),  and he was dragged out of bed like me to watch scary movies with my dad.  Oh, and how many times were we thought to be an incredibly handsome couple when we went to institute together?  Or the lady who took our missionary pictures and I swear pulled out a wooden spoon because we weren't sitting close together?  "Sit closer!  Pretend you like each other!  CLOSER!!!"
Good times, good times.  Keep safe, Jacob, and Ah luff yew.  

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Ewww! How stupid did the lady feel after you told her you were brother and sister? The action figure story reminds me of Kambrie and Braedon. She loves to play with him and his toys. She tries to make the sound effects, but lets face it, Girls mouths just don't work that way! Love the post, still laughing!