Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sibling Memories, Pt 2

Oh, Steven, where shall I begin?  With the time you shoved peas up your nose to get a laugh, only to discover they were actually stuck?  You always could make anything fun, even when it was kinda scary like not ever being able to breathe out of your nose again.
Or the fact that I now know why mom skipped the gray and went straight to white, because I have a 3 year old Steven of my own and the hair dye to prove it? And what is it with the two of you and always always ALWAYS hurting your heads?
You were always making us laugh and smile growing up.  Unless you were out taking another trip to the ER for stitches.  I remember one summer when you seemed to be making a trip a week there, and of course it was when we were visiting Grandma and Grandpa Soelberg, so not only did it look like you had crazy abusive parents, but that we had fled the country before any of the staff could get the police involved.  I will tell you, I often wondered with all of your head injuries why Mom didn't just do your stitches herself, since she had a sewing machine, because then it wouldn't take so long and maybe the thread would match better.
Do you remember when you almost killed John?  Of course you do.  I don't think that story will ever leave the family story tellings.  But then, you have never doubted yourself or your abilities, even when they involved you being Batman and flying with Robin (John) on the pulley swing.  I have never seen dad run so fast as when you lost your grip and landed on that skinny red headed brother of ours.
Or how about the time you decided to leave the house and take a walk by yourself?  Right after we had moved to a foreign country?  And when dad finally found you, you were eating ice cream by an old man in front of a little shop?  Absolutely no fear.  It is something I have always been a little jealous of, because I second guess and doubt myself all the time.
You could also be incredibly giving.  There was one day when I came home from work in tears because I had lost some money in the till.  My bosses didn't really care all that much about it, but I took it incredibly hard.  You gave me a little stuffed dog that you were going to give to a girl you had a crush on.   A girl who had really bad hair and skin, and was basically black mailing Steven to like her, just in case Sarah his wife is reading this.
But one of my favorite memories is when you were a news anchor in elementary school.  You read that news and turned to face the cameras like a pro. The other kids were lost the whole time, but never you. Boy, there are some guys who never get that professional even when they are paid for it.  And that comb over you had that started right over your ear was the icing on the cake of news announcing perfection.  
I think I will end this now, before the warrant for my arrest goes outside of California.  Oh yeah, being in the sheriff's dept in LA gets you a lot of pull.  Seriously, Steven, I think you are swell.  I'd let you write me a ticket anytime.  But not really.

No comments: