Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tales From February

It has been a little hard lately to think of things to blog about. All I want to do right now is have enough dry ground for children to play outside, and get some Spring Cleaning done. I know, I am going crazy. So I have some random stories that I just don't want to forget to share with family (and any one else who may be interested).

Benjamin is a criminal mastermind in the making. He pushes a chair over to the counter to get whatever I have unwittingly left there, thinking it to be safely out of his grasp. I am a moron. Benjamin has gotten into the chips bag, my water cup, and even a pumpkin pie. Today he took the cake. Really. I made a cake for Sunday dessert, let it cool, and frosted it. That's when the little man struck. He got his chair, and tried to eat his cake. It was a little hard to dive into since it was still intact, so he opened the drawer and pulled out a spatula. That's when I caught him, using the spatula to cut into the cake. He's brilliant. Brilliantly evil.

Brandon loves salsa. He loves cars and transformers, too. But he is quick to tell you that he will NOT marry it, whatever "it" happens to be at the time. We will be eating dinner or he'll be playing with a toy, and he'll say, "I love this," with, "But I'm not going to marry it," all in the same breath. Apparently we have been using that joke WAY too much this cold and dreary winter, in an attempt to warm up our frostbitten hearts and toes.

Nadia bought me a teddy bear for Valentine's Day. It is pink, and is holding a pink heart pillow that says, "Princess" with a little pink jewel on it for some bling. I brought it out of the wrapping, with Nadia clapping her hands and asking me if I loved it. I said it was a great Valentine's Day gift and thank you. Guess what she said after that. "Mom, don't you think your new bear would look great on my bed?" Guess where it is now. Good thing I didn't get a new pair of pearl earrings this year, huh.

If these cute stories haven't put a smile on your face, maybe this will: I think I may have signed up to teach a bread making class.
Of course it was purely accidental, and I can see my sister Lauren falling off her chair laughing as she reads this. Hopefully it will have happened at work, in which case Workman's Comp will pay for any injuries I may have caused.
I'm actually not a bad baker, but this may not be the best move I have made being a "Helpful Helen." It would probably have been okay if I had a mixer, and Heaven only knows how I've made it through 9 years of marriage without one. Oh, wait, we always had great bakeries right by us so I could be lazy and just buy my rolls.
Maybe that's what I'll do: we'll just go on a field trip to Geraldine's or Great Harvest and I'll explain all about the different types of breads and rolls you can buy while we eat some samples. I bet it will the best attended class EVER.

2 comments:

Krista said...

I love your stories! The first day that the ground is dry I bet all the kids in the nieghborhood will be outside running in circles. Your kids are so funny, they make me laugh. I'm sure you will do great at the bread making class, just like you did at the book club. I'm excited to go!

Jenny said...

Better you than me! Although we all know you can pull it off. My mom would be trying to get me to cancel. I do cakes and cookies. Asking me to make bread is like asking me to speak Spanish! Ya, you know what I mean. Good luck. You will do great.