Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hooray For Home Schooling, Part 2

Okay, I have a confession to make. This is hard for me, so please, silence until I get it off my chest. I am afraid of school secretaries. This is another reason why home schooling looks attractive at the moment, and actually the biggest reason why I was so scared I had lost Brandon's shot record.
Some of you may ask, "What are you talking about, Sarah? Why are you scared of a secretary?" First, I say to you, she is not a secretary, she is the SCHOOL secretary. Big difference. Let me tell you, there is something very intimidating about a lady answering the phone, sending a fax, and filling out a tardy slip all at the same time. "What is the reason for the tardiness?" My mouth always turns to mush when she asks me that question. I never seem to have an excuse that's good enough, either.
Mind you, we are not a perpetual tardy family, at least not when it comes to school. The problem is we have the occasional late start in the morning, the doctor is running late, or someone is sick and slowing things down. We have never been over 10 minutes tardy.
None of that seems to matter when she asks you the question, "What is the reason for the tardiness?" It doesn't matter that your youngest was up all night with a fever and congestion and finally fell asleep 10 minutes before the start of school on the stair step. It doesn't matter that the contractors who are measuring for your counter tops are still talking and measuring your odd lazy susan cabinet that isn't standard in any way, shape or form. It doesn't matter that you were actually on time until the local stray cat came darting out from underneath a parked car, and you had to stop and check the damage. These are all merely excuses, not reasons for a tardy. You need a REASON.
This was my biggest fear in losing that shot record; having to face the school secretary and hearing her ask that dreaded question, "What is the reason for losing the record?"
I had to go and talk to her today because the school website still has all of last year's information and I needed this year's in order to ask Brandon's teacher a question. Do you remember that scene in "Oliver" when that poor, thin and wretched soprano of a boy finishes his disgusting gruel, comes up to the counter that is too tall for him, and asks, "Please, sir, may I have some more?" That is how it felt to go up to the window and talk to the fearsome school secretary. Benjamin was with me for cuteness factor and support, and I was able to ask my questions and get the information I needed without a crack in my voice or have anyone asking me if I have restless leg syndrome because my legs were moving while the rest of me was stationary.
Ben and I made it. We may survive it if we have to go again. Which we will have to do, because unfortunately, some of the info I need is wrong. I will let you know when we go to brave the den of the fearsome school secretary again, and ask you to cross your fingers for us. I'll need it.

No comments: