Friday, October 2, 2009

Code In By Doze

Ah, the season of coughs and colds is upon us once again. Or actually, upon me. If you haven't figured out the title yet, it's "Cold in my nose" which refers to my current state and I am sure to the state of my children sometime this winter.
While sipping my hot lemon tea this morning and deciding if it was worth taking any medication, or calling the doctor's office to see if I can take medication, I started thinking about my children and their love of all drugs. They cannot wait to take vitamin C when it starts getting nippy, and the older two will even fake a stuffy nose or cough just to get a dose of something. I started thinking of writing a letter to the pharmaceutical companies, and it would probably go something like this:

Dear Giant Pharmaceutical Company,

I am the mother of three children who are hooked on your products. Let me tell you why. My children think you have medicines that taste better than candy. In fact, they prefer a dose of your stuff to most candy, and who wouldn't, with choices like sour apple, berry medley, grape and watermelon. I am sure this is just a big oversight on your part, and you had no idea that children love your products so much. I would like to help fix this problem by suggesting some new flavors that children love, but are not related to candy or purple stain issues.
The first flavor I think you should consider is macaroni and cheese. Every child loves this classic dish. You could make it with either no color or a very light yellow so it looks cheesy delicious. Another good option would be chicken nuggets with a slight ketchup aftertaste. If you could figure out a way to make a red swirl into the medicine, I really think you could have a home run on your hands with this one. Or just go straight ketchup. Red coloring would not be advised for this, however.
Getting away from lunch and dinner, another good choice would be vanilla. Did you know vanilla is the most requested flavor of ice cream? Everyone loves vanilla, and you guys haven't even tapped into that market yet. I would definitely go clear color here.

The only problem with this is I do not know how to end the letter, and there are times I just want to write a threatening note saying we will never take another dose of cold medicine again. But we will both know it is just talk.
The only sane child I have is Ben. He is more than willing to throw a tantrum and spit out most of the medicine he is supposed to be taking, so you have try and figure out a redose amount, as well as rush to rinse out his shirt before it gets even more stained. Bless the boy.

1 comment:

Krista said...

You always make me laugh. Stay warm down there:)